San Francisco

Two months ago I was lucky enough that I have been sent to San Francisco (and San Jose) for work for a week and I have extended my trip for a few days to explore the city a little bit and visit the grand Yosemite - I'll save the latter for the next post. 

While I have been to SF waaayyy back when I was a teenager, I don't really have any memory on what this city was like. Plus it was the my first time ever that I was travelling for work, so it was all exciting. 

My general thoughts on SF? I have a mix feeling about this city to be honest. Some part of the city I really love, but on another note I wouldn't feel very comfortable walking around by myself especially at night - some areas are just a little sketchy and I didn't feel very safe. 

Other than that though, there are some really nice areas and SF is a beautiful city and oh-dear-God so many delicious food here! I love the beautiful old buildings and houses and signs though walking up and down the hill could be a little exhausting (but healthy so that's okay)! Here are some snaps from my super short visit.

Powell St, San Francisco downtown
San Francisco downtown
Union Square
San Fancisco downtown
San Francisco downtown
San Francisco downtown
Carved pumpkins at the Ferry Building for Halloween
Grilled oysters, Hog Island Oyster Co, the Ferry Building
Some shrimp dish, Hog Island Oyster Co, the Ferry Building
Clam chowder, Hog Island Oyster Co, the Ferry Building
At the Ferry Building. I have never seen so many different types of pumpkins!
A walk at The Embarcardero
Four Barrel, the Mission District
Four Barrel, the Mission District
San Francisco at night

Highlights from my trip:
The Golden Gate Bridge, looking at view at the Twin Peaks, the Ferry Building, driving through Lombard St, walking along The Embarcardero, Pier 39, walking around Valencia St at the Mission District. I have also met with really nice and friendly colleagues from work, hung out with my funky uncle who loves food (winning!) and kindly took me around to both good food and sight seeing, also hung out with a friend from Sydney who happened to be travelling there around the same time.

Food highlights (in alphabetical order):

  • Bi-Rite Creamery - such a nice ice cream and people always lining up at this shop, I had the balsamic strawberry flavour
  • Brenda's French soul food - I had the most delicious deep fried oyster on bread roll
  • Commonwealth SF - modern American food, the tasting plate is worth it!
  • Craftsman & Wolves - order 'The Rebel Within'. Unbelievable.
  • Hog Island Oyster Co - amazing seafood pictured above; we went to the one at the Ferry Building 
  • Kappou Gomi - authentic Kyoto style Japanese restaurant
  • Limon Rotisserie - Peruvian food
  • Sai Jai Thai restaurant - tasty, cheap and cheerful. Apparently they are famous for their fried chicken bones (yes you read that right) but I haven't tried yet, so next time if I ever go back!

Coffee:
I have taken it for granted to be able to get good coffee pretty much everywhere so easily. It's very hard to find a nice decent coffee, BUT it is not impossible. These are the 2 nice cafes that I have tried.


I also have put together one day in SF itinerary that's recently been published on The Wanderlove Collective, check it out here!

It has been short and sweet SF, hope to see you again some other time. 

Comments

  1. SF looks beautiful, I really hope to go here one day too. I love America but I do agree, a lot of the cities are beautiful but some aren't places I would feel safe.

    Looking forward to hearing about your time at Yosemite.

    Hannah
    x
    www.daintyadivory.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment